Teacher of ceramic art
at the Central School of Applied Arts and of the Institute of
Applied Arts 1930-1962, leader of the department 1945-62.
Elsa Elenius was
appointed as teacher of ceramic art in 1930 after professor A.W.
Finch. She made a long and successful career promoting and
teaching Finnish ceramic art.
The starting point of
Elsa Elenius's own production was old Oriental ceramics, which
she greatly admired. Her ceramics was sure of form, classically
pure and splendidly glazed. This could not go unnoticed in the
European centres of art. Elenius receiv ed great recognition for
- Central School of
Applied Arts 1930
- Elenius experiments
with clay masses and glaze productionin the Manufacture de
Sèvres laboratory under the leadership of professor
Grangèr in 1931.
- Prizes in industrial
art exhibitions: Barcelona World's Fair 1929, (gold medal);
Milano Triennale 1933 (Gran Premio and Diplome di
Collaborazione); Brussels World's Fair 1935, (Grand Prix); Paris
World's Fair 1937, (gold medal).
- She took part in
numerous exhibitions both at home and abroad and had several
exhibitions of her own.
- Works of Elsa Elenius
are to be found in e.g. the Finnish Museum of Applied Arts, the
Collections of Wittorio Emanuele III (1933), Nobel Collections
(1937), the Finnish Parliament House (1937), and the Finnish
Embassy in Washington DC (1939). Elsa Elenius made study trips to
e.g. Paris, London, Milan, Rome, Florence, Venice, Vienna,
Brussels, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, and
- Merit Cross of the
Finnish Lion (1950) and Pro Arte Utili medal (1952).
Works by Elsa
Museum of Applied Arts, K.962
Vase, ca. 1910. Stoneware
Museum of Applied Arts, 03027
Museum of Applied Arts, K.967
Museum of Applied Arts, K.959